About

CLUB HISTORY

 Devizes Budo Club started back in 1957 in a back garden in Victoria Road, Devizes practising on old mattresses with the two first members learning from a book loaned from the library.

The first inside venue was The Devizes Community Centre later in 1957 and a room in the Crown Inn from 1959 to 1964.

1964 saw the transportation of an old Army Nissan hut to land at Dunkirk Hill Devizes, a site the Club occupied until 2017.

The early years of the Club featured Judo, Aikido, Karate and Kendo and was highlighted by the visits of Japanese masters including Abe and Otani and the early members achieving their Dan Grades.

The Club was rebuilt by club member Will Wrobel in 1976 after the original Club was lost in a fire.  This Club was further extended in 1996 by Bill Davies.

Robert Hayter started the Club’s first junior competition squad in 1970 and by 1976 the Club boasted its first National Champion, Andrew Giddings. The Club in 2018 has trained 17 members to become national Champions, has three European Championships medallists, Roberts Wixon, Julian Davies and Tom Reed, 4 World Championships competitors, Julian Davies, Tom Reed, Jemima Duxberry and Razz Hopkins (Veteran) and 1 Olympian, Julian Davies.

The Club continues to do what it does best and welcome individuals into the club environment and give them the opportunity to reach their full potential by top quality coaching.

The Club moved to its current location at Rowdeford School in 2017 with classes continuing in Aikido and Judo welcoming members from all over Wiltshire.